Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheMan

Had a brief look, works well. What technology is behind it. Are the searches realtime or cached? Do you get commission for the links? If not it should be worthwhile.

lostie

not a bad idea at all for a site, and it seems to work well. My only problem is with the pricefindr - compare prices for Music CDs delivered to Ireland homepage, its not very userfriendly, or professional looking. The section explaining what the site does should not be in an "about us" section, but should be clearly stated in a bigger section either above or below the search box. Maybe you could have a section saying searches: and then a list of the logo's of the sites it searches, in order to get a bit of colour onto the main page. With a bit of work you could build some serious traffic and start earning commission - and make quite a bit from the idea! best of luck.

pricefindr.ie

Thanks for the feedback guys, definitely taking it on board. The landing page does look a bit amateurish at the moment hope to re-work in the next day or two.

GimmeDat

I agree. That works brilliantly. Apart from a reworking of the design, the only negative thing i can think of is that it is limited to only music. Extend that to other markets and you are onto a winner!

pricefindr.ie

Been thinking about expanding it into other markets. I think that DVD's are probably the next vertical. Want to try and iron out some of the design problems and then I will probably look to add them in. Thanks for the feedback..

pricefindr.ie

New pricefindr.ie feature

Just wanted to get some feedback on a new feature that I've added to the website. It's called trends it basically tracks price changes and then lets the users see the latest bargains. Any thoughts feedback would be great...

pricefindr.ie - price trends see the latest price movements

A weekly breakdown is are also available

pricefindr.ie - price trends see the latest price movements

You can refine results further to see individual results for particular websites.

Let me know what you think... Thanks

paul

Ninja
now this is cool ! if you could do that for flights out of ireland you would be on a winner.

pricefindr.ie

Nope .... the pricefindr bot crawls the websites and when it is refreshing the pricing information it notes changes in price from the last time it crawled the site.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the vendors you list provide feeds. I'd strongly recommend you look at using them, as scraping won't scale

pricefindr.ie

Thanks ...yeah agree for the major sites listed feeds would definitley be an easier option. Been trying out a more generic approach that I can adopt to other websites that don't supply feeds. Been using an open source project called nutch for the crawling and so far it's been scaling pretty well. Have set up a small two node cluster it uses the map/reduce algorithm to carry out the work. Haven't really pushed it might try adding some more sites and see how it gets on. Been thinking of adding DVDs in..

pricefindr.ie

pricefindr.ie updated.

Hi Guys,

I have updated pricefindr.ie having added in some new verticals for DVD's and Games. The websites UI has been updated slightly but the main improvements has been back-end here I have moved the processing and number crunching into the cloud using amazon's EC2 to allow for future expansion. The index as it currently stands has 75,467 products in it. I'm currently looking to add additional sites to the pricefindr index so any you would recommend or suggest let me know. Any feedback on the site its look and feel etc would be greatly welcome as UI design isn't my strength

Thanks

cgarvey

Would you not pay someone to do some UI work for you? Even a student or a rentacoder or something. There's no nice way of saying the site looks pretty bad. I mean if you can't fire $30 for a template at the site, then, to quote a favourite phrase of mine, "you're at nothin'"!

The idea could defeinitely work (though you'll need to think about how it pays for itself!), but jeepers get something done with the UI!!

Status
Not open for further replies.