Spoffing my domain for SPAM (not me, others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul

Ninja
Recently I've been getting a lot of bounced mail, from blocked spam, it looks like this :
View attachment 42 These penny stock SPAMS.

Where the spammers are using a random/fake address from my domain as the sender.

I'm just wondering is it possible that I will be put on an email black list when I send real emails, because of these people who are trying to fake email from me ?

RedCardinal

I have same problem with redcardinal.ie.

Nowt you can do. But you wont get blacklisted as they only seem to spoof the return-path.

Shower of ******s those spammers.... :( (am I allowed to say that :D)

yfs1

As red cardinal says, there is nothing you can do and no one has hacked your server.

The best thing to do is send all mail thats improperly addressed to the :black hole: - After a week you can set your catch all back up as these spammers always move on.

Some of the responses you get back from people who think you spammed them are priceless though :D

RedCardinal

And if you want a laugh - one of the spam emails was obviously sent to another spammer who has now started spamming the spoofed email address.

Almost funny except that I'm pissed with the volume of crap coming in :(

paul

Ninja
I forward my catchall email address to a google a/c so the mailbox size isn't that much of a pain and it can group similar ones too.

daviddoran

Looks like the same kind of Spam I get. I get a huge amount of Spam but luckily maybe 1 a week at most gets through which is grand, Google does a good job at catching spam.

yfs1

Looks like the same kind of Spam I get. I get a huge amount of Spam but luckily maybe 1 a week at most gets through which is grand, Google does a good job at catching spam.

I just wish they had settings like "English Emails Only" as some SPAM seems to still get through.

Gavin

Glad to see you guys are getting the same. Not that I hate you or anything, just happy that I am not alone.

Is it just me or has anyone else seen a huge increase in these emails since Christmas? I am currently hitting 200 per day and they all kicked off just before Christmas week.

yfs1

Glad to see you guys are getting the same. Not that I hate you or anything, just happy that I am not alone.

Is it just me or has anyone else seen a huge increase in these emails since Christmas? I am currently hitting 200 per day and they all kicked off just before Christmas week.
Although Christmas day was nice as it seemed even the spammers stopped spamming for a day so they could do things with their family

ablaye

I get this also. As your site becomes popular, your domain name will be used to send spam. There is no way around this.
You can have a filter on your email account to drop all these bounced emails from unknown email addresses from your domain.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on your setup you can mitigate it, but stopping it outright would also lead to blocking valid email ...

Status
Not open for further replies.