staying at the right side of the law

Status
Not open for further replies.

peateargriffin

Hi,
A friend of mine asked me to build a website for them, which I am going to do.
I have been thinking for a while of doing the odd website in my spare time to increment my wages.

I am wondering if I need to be registered as a company and for VAT in order to sell websites, or can I get away without being registered up to a certain extent.

Thanks

daviddoran

AFAIK you don't need to be a company but to earn money and to be on the right side of the law you would need to file your own tax returns on said money earned.

davidbehan

You don't have to register for VAT until you have a turnover over of 26k (afaik) in any rolling 12 months. You don't need to register a company, you just "trade" under your own name. No registrations necessary. As mr. doran said, you do need to file a return of monies earned in the year. Have a chat with an accountant about your requirements.

A lot of people doing "nixers" outside of their normal job don't declare the money earned and just keep it all, e.g. hairdressers. But I didn't tell you that! :D

D

Davthalas

For the most part you wouldn't nesacerily have to file the tax returns, as no one would miss them...unless you designed a site for like Bono or something that was well publisiced with your name all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.