Vbulletin 4 CMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone any experience of Vbulletin 4's CMS product?

Was just wondering if it would be a good solution for a site or not and since it's so new I haven't come across any sites using it as yet ..

jhegarty

Getting ready to roll it out myself.

It's going to replace phpBB , a custom CMS and two php files (that provide the real site content , time table information) that I have redone as plugins for vBulletin.

Hoping to go live tomorrow , will post in reviews section once it does.

oliflorence

I have fitted a site with it on friday.

The CMS part looks more like a blog or news site to me with categories and themes, i have not looked into great detail yet but at first glance this is not a CMS as you would expect where you can create a page for let say a brochure website and add content, it all seems to be about articles, again, i have not spent too much time into it so i could be wrong.

If you are on a shared server (blacknight i am guessing you are not :), but for anyone else), beware, you will need PHP 5.2 with MySQl extension.

Install is straigth forward, other that we got the beta version before Xmas and the full version was not an upgrade and had to reinstall everything.

Another thing I noticed is that I got the files about 2 weeks ago, install them on friday, went to the admin panel to find a message letting me know an upgrade to version 4.0.1 was required as 200 bugs were fixed since release. You might want to wait a bit and let them debug further before to buy!!!

jhegarty

Another thing I noticed is that I got the files about 2 weeks ago, install them on friday, went to the admin panel to find a message letting me know an upgrade to version 4.0.1 was required as 200 bugs were fixed since release. You might want to wait a bit and let them debug further before to buy!!!

And 4.0.2 is due in the next week :rolleyes:

But the upgrade to 4.0.1 went without an issue.

oliflorence

Can I ask you where you access the variable for the top menu (home, forums, ports etc)?
I need to add a couple of links there but could not find it in the header part of the styles.

I must say from a first experience Vbulletin is a bit of a nightmare to customize and the doc is of little assistance, no wonder many VB sites look all the same ;), possibly after doing one or two??

jhegarty

Can I ask you where you access the variable for the top menu (home, forums, ports etc)?
I need to add a couple of links there but could not find it in the header part of the styles.

I must say from a first experience Vbulletin is a bit of a nightmare to customize and the doc is of little assistance, no wonder many VB sites look all the same ;), possibly after doing one or two??

You need to create a template , a plug in and of course you php file to render the page.

Here is the guide I used :

[HOW TO - vB4] Create a New Tab in the navbar (with template) - vBulletin.org Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.