VPS - Which Linux distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMenace

I'm still very much a new hat to Linux but I'm planning on setting up VPS hosting with Blacknight in the next few days. Just a couple of questions:

1) Is there a generally preferred Linux distribution - Debian, CentOS, Fedora or Ubuntu? Are there any significant differences between them that I should be aware of?

2) I plan on adding Plesk but, regardless, how much do I need to know in order to set things up, patch the OS, etc. on an ongoing basis? Obviously I've no problem delving into a book or two if necessary so any recommendations would also be appreciated.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
1) Is there a generally preferred Linux distribution - Debian, CentOS, Fedora or Ubuntu? Are there any significant differences between them that I should be aware of?

As I see it .. its really up to you ... CentOS has a longer support cycle though and as it was the default linux dist that came with the VPS I went with that :)

If you plan on doing lots of things on the command line [installs and so on] ... then go with the dist you are most comfortable with (The control panel really seems to remove the need for linux knowledge though) :D

2) I plan on adding Plesk but, regardless, how much do I need to know in order to set things up, patch the OS, etc. on an ongoing basis? Obviously I've no problem delving into a book or two if necessary so any recommendations would also be appreciated.

Things just happen ... its all really driven by a control panel ... quite shiny really. What you need to know about linux ... not a hell of a lot ...
Adding FTP users / .. setting up hosting and so on .. all is done by the click of a button ...

I've to admit I was a bit lost at the start and I've not really done too much with mine since I got it ... been a bit too busy with the move and everything.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Linux distributions have different package management and release cycles. Some people love Centos, others love Suse etc., etc.

In terms of functionality there isn't much difference

TheMenace

Thanks guys, that's very helpful. I know this isn't Blacknight's support forum but, seeing as this is the weekend and all -

1. Does it cost to transfer domains to the VPS if they're already hosted with Blacknight?

2. Can I use my existing a/c login or do I need to create a separate/new one for VPS?

Cheers :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.