Website administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takeone

Seeking Advice:

I'm not really that great with computers so I hired a web developer to design and build my site www.takeone.ie
Im really happy with the way the site looks and as the site has only been live 2 months Im coming up with new ideas to improve the site and the business.
However, my web developer is becoming extremely slow and I find it very hard to get in touch with him as he has moved to Sri Lanka so everything is taking so much longer.
My questions is that if I was to seek an Irish based web developer would they be able to integrate new functions onto the existing site or would it be very hard as it has been built by someone else?

Would really appreciate any advice...

Thanks

Gavin

My questions is that if I was to seek an Irish based web developer would they be able to integrate new functions onto the existing site

I don't see that a good developer would have difficulties working with it. You never know, you might find one of the lads on here to hire as they seem to know their stuff when it comes to development.

Hopefully one of them can chime in and advise.

daviddoran

It should not be very hard - the website is programmed in PHP and unless the programmer made a real b@lls of it the code should be relatively simple.
I'm sure there's someone on here who'd like to take this up. What kind of time is involved?

louie

is not going to be easy for someone else to take over some other guy works, as it happened to me recently (3 days looking for bugs and trying to understand custom functions and why didn't work), and you must be prepared to pay that price.

Cormac

to be frank...

I would start from scratch again tbh. There are loads of SEO problems with your site. Frames, tables, the general coding isn't the best either.
A designer / developer would be a lot more comfortable starting from scratch because they will be developing a system they know.

daviddoran

Woah, woah, woah - We can all admit the iframe shouldn't be in there but unless this person wants to pay for a redesign then there is no reason why someone couldn't take over. As a developer (if I may) I believe it could take some time to figure the whole thing out but unless it is terrible coding or unless it is mired in abstraction levels it shouldn't be very long at all.

ziycon

I would say it would'nt be that hard for someone to take it up if the coding is done to a good enough standard by the previous developer! One thing that i find odd is that the index page redirects to main.php with a 1 second delay, just find it a bit werid!?

Cormac

You need to dice up the time it will take the new developer to cipher through the previous developer's code and ask yourself do you think that time is being spent productively by the new developer?

Can the developer start from scratch and do a better job based on the same site in a shorter time? I would imagine so.. the ins-&-outs of the backend is probably going to be the biggest concern.

Takeone

Thanks for all your comments and advice will have a think about what has been said and hopefully come up with a solution.

Thanks again, much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.