Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

I have received about 3 pingbacks from a website called elliotback.com - Elliott Back Blog Network - And I don't know why?

I presume he is spidering for some keywords and then displaying them on his blog but I don't see the point in this at all.

He is after pinging/copying this blog post - http://cormacmoylan.com/blog/wordpress-blogs/moving-webhosts-from-eurovps-to-blacknight.eire - to his own site - Moving Company » Moving webhosts from EuroVPS to Blacknight

Can I stop this kind of crap of happening? Surely it's a violation of some copyright?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It's a splog.

I see my content on them all the bloody time.

Gavin

Send a cease & desist to his host and report the site to Google Adsense for violation of your copyright.

It doesnt always work but some people have had success in dealing with splogs.

Gavin

It should as Google frown on splogs and have recently updated their policies to start targeting violators. One violation that a splog does would be:

No Google ad may be placed on pages published specifically for the purpose of showing ads, whether or not the page content is relevant.

If it is a violation of copyright and is using Adsense a DMCA report needs to be filed.

gary.b

Or you can ban the IP they're using or serve up some junk text instead - with some .htaccess trickery.

That's if the whole thing is automated - if the webmaster is just copy & pasting from you - you can't really track them down. Filing complaints with adsense is your best bet.

elliottback

DCMA them. Please.

What happened is I wrote a plugin for WP called WP Autoblog which can import an RSS stream as a post. This was so I could aggregate some of my and my family members blogs together on my front page using an all-Wordpress solution. However, it seemed to attract spammers who abused it, which is even worse for me, because it puts "Post by XXXXX and software by me" on the bottom of every import, leading some people to believe that I am a spammer.

Check out the plugin page:

WP Autoblog: A Syndication Plugin by Elliott C. Back

I stopped distributing it at least 6 months ago when it became clear the only idiots using it were for spam. Every now and then some family-type emails me wanting to use it, but it's too dangerous.

Sigh, I'm quite annoyed that this continues in '07. Maybe by '08 the internet will "forget" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.