Status
Not open for further replies.

Zascar

My dad needs a new website. This is the old one. The SEO is awful. I told him not to go with the designer but he would not listen.

We're trying to re-do the website so it has good out of the box seo and hopefully get a few decent leads through. So, wordpress, Joomla, something else? We don't have huge money to spend on this so however I get this done it has to be done right.

What is the best direction to go in?

Satanta

It's not really a case of 'which CMS', it's more to do with how the CMS is tailored and used.

WordPress, used correctly (check out Redfly Online Marketing, SEO, Web Design & Internet Marketing Company, Dublin, Ireland. as a prime example) can provide an excellent base, but used poorly can be horrible for SEO. The same goes for any CMS you use. I'm sure something like 'Open Source CMS' could provide just as good results, if used well.

If you/your dad is familiar with something like WordPress, it seems a fine solution. It takes time to tweak it to perform well, but the results can be excellent once you make a few changes to the basic settings and get a system in place to produce the new pages correctly.

tomed

Yeah I agree with Setanta. It's like everything else, it's not about the software, it's about how it's used!

Wordpress used to get slated (and still does) for it's handling of duplicate content. Out of the box, wordpress is set up pretty well for SEO, but does have a few minor issues that should be resolved.

When looking at a CMS, just make sure you have control to make changes such as search engine friendly urls, title and meta tags etc.

Zascar

Thanks guys. I was hoping that would be the answer. I use wordpress myself and love it

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Thesis: DIYthemes - anyone have any experience with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.