Status
Not open for further replies.

gary.b

yep - looks good. just a few minor tweaks though:

The top graphic seems a bit too dark for the rest of the site, and the buttons aren't clearly "Buttons" - just text - some sort of light (slightly lighter than black) border arround those would look better.

I assume "template_17.gif" will be replaced with some sort of ad? - if so, i really think it will make the site a bit "thin" - maybe consider moving it underneath the "Latest news" thing and making the content column wider.

Making the sections "Security (2)" etc... have their own little "box" would look better too - like here (but not as wide): SSL - Digital Certificates - E-commerce - Hosting Software - Webhosting Solutions - each item is in a box on its own.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Gary

Thanks for the feedback.

I see what you mean about the right skyscraper space - I'll have to do some rejigging, though I'd prefer to put the ad on the right, as it *should* get more clicks (I hope!)

I might move the random links into the left block completely so that there is less scrolling

I like the idea about the box effect, though I'm not sure if my HTML skillz are up to it :)

Cormac

It's not clear who the target audience is from reading the homepage.

The text - unbiased web hosting comparisons - would indicate that the site provides comparisons for users between different webhosting companies while the intro paragraph - No matter which web hosting market you cater to you will need solutions to help automate your customer service, billing and other solutions and help grow your webhosting business - is directed at webhosting companies.

This page - About The Hosting Software Directory - provides information about the site but it took me too long to figure out what the site was about.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've already asked the designer (extraordinaire) to change the text to something more suited to the actual content

louie

I like it except for the links on the bottom of the header.
The text is too big and breaks the font.
The search background image or color is not 100% expanding making it look like is not finished.
I would also add a padding of 2px on that search div as well.

kae

the text in the main links is aliased. as the links appear to be images (why? why make images of text?), you can add anti-aliasing in using whatever your editor is.

"search search... the entire directory search" <-- like the word "search"?

"Editors Pick" should be "Editor's Pick" (in the footer, it's even worse - "Editor Pick")

what's the difference between "Add a Listing" and "New Listing"?

I'm not a designer, so don't have strong opinions on it, but the search bar seems a bit uneven - there is a solid background colour on the right, and no background colour on the left. Combined with the Search button missing its bottom border, it seems a bit haphazard.

The front page should be grammatically perfect, as first impressions count. The opening paragraph is missing at least two commas, and should probably be rephrased to be shorter.

As already stated, it's impossible to tell a link from ordinary text.

Status
Not open for further replies.