Status
Not open for further replies.

gav240z

Hi Guys,
Just thought I'd ask about your experience with Yahoo! and MSN on the Irish market in terms of search.

Wondering what you find in terms of conversion rates and general traffic. I notice in our Analytics software we did get one or two conversions through natural traffic off Yahoo! but was wondering how many Irish people actually use Yahoo!

I know in Australia there was a small but significant amount of traffic on Yahoo! and we ran several campaigns for a few clients on it.

Does anyone have information on the share these engines have in Ireland vs the big boy Google?

*edit* forgot to mention I'm asking about running PPC campaigns and not organic search.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
We've had a campaign on MSN Adcenter for a very long time ... The problem was that MSN Ireland weren't actually serving MSN Adcenter ads! That seems to have been resolved, but the volumes are negligible. I'd have to check our budget levels etc., to see what is going on ....

Yahoo! - main problem there is that you can't target Irish traffic only which is a real pain in the neck. If you're targetting the UK with some of the broader terms the cost per click is HUGE

gav240z

Yahoo! UK and Ireland only

We've had a campaign on MSN Adcenter for a very long time ... The problem was that MSN Ireland weren't actually serving MSN Adcenter ads! That seems to have been resolved, but the volumes are negligible. I'd have to check our budget levels etc., to see what is going on ....

Yahoo! - main problem there is that you can't target Irish traffic only which is a real pain in the neck. If you're targetting the UK with some of the broader terms the cost per click is HUGE

Yeah I haven't used MSN Adcenter yet since most of the time they are fed by Yahoo! or at least they were when I last used Yahoo! search marketing in Australia.

Interesting that you can't target the Irish market only? I thought Panama or the new platform was meant to take care of Geo targeting amongst other things. Is it possible your account hasn't been upgraded to the new platform yet?

I know back in Australia we were not able to seperate the Australian and New Zealand market but with the Panama upgrade it fixed that issue.

I did check some key terms yesterday on Yahoo! and I was getting plenty of Ads from the UK so perhaps you can't as you say.

Seems a bit silly.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Well I haven't been able to login to my account recently since I can't find my login details and they don't seem to have a "forgot login" link or I am too blind to see it :)

If I get a chance over the weekend I might look into it - we weren't doing much with it because of those issues, so I wasn't aware of any upgrades to the system

galteeman

i used yahoo pay per click for the last year or so and as far as i can see ive got about 10 clicks in a year. meanwhile on google adwords i get about 200 a week.
i pay about 1 euro for each clik on average.
yahoo pay per click is useless.

jmcc

I don't think that Yahoo generates enough traffic in the Irish market to be worth bothering with. At a guess, most of the search traffic in Ireland is Google. By most, I mean 95% or so.

Regards...jmcc

grunya

We are advertising with Yahoo for more than 3 years and they introduced a new system last summer. You can advertise for Ireland only (this was a problem for half a year but finally they fixed this feature). I am wondering of Yahoo share on Irish market as we have only 0.5% impressions comparing to Google but higher persentage of conversions. So I think it worth trying.

Merrill

My experience of Yahoo IE vs Yahoo UK, is a lot less impressions for IE (obviously) but a higher conversion rate.

markostanley

As above, my main issue with anyone but Google in Ireland and the UK is that the search volume just isnt there. I could spend a lot more on Yahoo if the search volume existed, but it just doesn't - at least in the market I am playing in.

It's unfortunate, but Google just OWN this market in Ireland and the UK.

Who uses Yahoo for search anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.