Multiple Sig Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

poss solution: add a vbull promotion that allows users to post a sig after 30 posts or something...

spammers don't tend to hang around long enuff for that.

The problem with that kind of system is that you're not differentiating between legitimate and spammy members.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
The problem with that kind of system is that you're not differentiating between legitimate and spammy members.

I think the differentiating comes down to the mods of the board.

A number of people when they sign up mention they have been lurking for a while now. Well if they are interested in becoming a part of the community then it means they've got to contribute meaningful posts to get something back ... the signature being their reward.

caminowebmaster

I like the links, and I must admit there are only two forums I visit that don't allow sigs, I visit places more often where I can sign...maybe in the back of my head that is an additional payoff that I want.

However around here it does not seem bad, I have not noticed something that I find excessive. Also when someone is posting some advice I will go and look at their work and use that to decide if there are worth listening to or not.

One last point, to Blacknight. I set up a phpbb board on my camino site and shut it down within a week. 24/7 spam drove me nuts and it was not very easy to ban people, took too much time. Is this forum software easier to run? As I would like to try again with the forum on that same site.

One last question. What do you do when on holiday? I have plans to be away for 4/5 weeks, all of May, next year. Do you find it easy to get others to mod the site?

Thanks.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
One last point, to Blacknight. I set up a phpbb board on my camino site and shut it down within a week. 24/7 spam drove me nuts and it was not very easy to ban people, took too much time. Is this forum software easier to run? As I would like to try again with the forum on that same site.

Yes. I hate phpbb :)
One last question. What do you do when on holiday? I have plans to be away for 4/5 weeks, all of May, next year. Do you find it easy to get others to mod the site?

Thanks.

If you have enough competent moderators then you don't need to be there 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.