Status
Not open for further replies.

LostInIreland

Hi Guys

I have recently revamped our companies website, and would appreciate any comments or criticism on it, from layout and design to navigation.

Anything would be great.

Thanks

www.jenerate.com is the website address

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Overall I like it.

A few things that annoyed me / jarred on me:
  • Why isn't the logo top-left linked to the main page?
  • Why is the home link on the right?
  • The section below the fold seems redundant. If it's important it might make more sense to put it higher up (I'm viewing it at 1280x1024)
  • http://www.jenerate.com/links - typos
  • Why the American spelling?
  • emphasis vs. links - confusing
  • text vs link - you show support@ yet you link to info@

LostInIreland

Thanks for your views.

Don't know how i missed making the logo image a hyperlink, but that has been done now.

home link is on the right, as I want viewers to focus more on the content of the site than on the homepage of the site. Therefore by putting it on the top right of the site, it's less intuitive for them to go there to go back to the home page.

Can you point out which parts on the links page have the typos. would want to fix them.

American Spelling, is it a case of having a "z" instead of an "s" or what other words have I spelt wrong.

What is your meaning by emphasis vs. linking, not quite understanding what you mean by this?

and lastly I have rectified the support link, reason why it wass doing this was that while i was setting up, i hadn't created the mailbox support yet, so used info as a test.

Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback, it's always welcome, I look forward to your response.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
spelling - z vs s - very annoying unless you are trying to attract Americans

emphasis vs links - have a look at any page on your site. I can't see which are bolded words/phrases and which are links

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
LostInIreland said:
home link is on the right, as I want viewers to focus more on the content of the site than on the homepage of the site. Therefore by putting it on the top right of the site, it's less intuitive for them to go there to go back to the home page.

While I can appreciate that you may want to place emphasis on certain parts of your site I don't think that breaking navigation to do so is such a good idea. However, if you have linked the logo then it shouldn't be too bad :)

LostInIreland

Sorry, but which would be the best way to spell the word optimize or optimise?

It really makes no difference to me, but before i make the change, i'll have to check word-tracker and see which version has a better KEI rate.

Reason why the certain keywords are hyperlinked is for SEO purposes

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
LostInIreland said:
Sorry, but which would be the best way to spell the word optimize or optimise?
with the "s"
If you use the "z" you come across as American and will alienate quite a bit of your target market.

LostInIreland said:
It really makes no difference to me, but before i make the change, i'll have to check word-tracker and see which version has a better KEI rate.
That's rubbish to put it bluntly. Either spell the text correctly or don't, but if you are basing your spelling off an SEO tool then I would honestly have to wonder what you are at ...
LostInIreland said:
Reason why the certain keywords are hyperlinked is for SEO purposes
I'm sorry, but I am not a bot and anyone buying your services isn't going to be one either.
If you cannot optimise and retain legibility etc., how do you expect anyone to buy your services?

rsynnott

we are able expand and offer our complete range of website development and design services

That isn't right.

Below you will find a few of the website development latest projects that we have delivered to our clients.

Nor is that.

The website has been further developed to include it's very on newsletter manager supported by Jenerate Limited's content management system.
flat panel tv's
A few of the new key features added to the site is the Used Car section, an interactive...

Grammar uber alles! Really, it is important to get this sort of thing right; it looks very unprofessional.

I'd be cautious of referring to os_commerce as "Jenerate Limited's Swift Shop e-commerce solution".

http://www.jenerate.com/component/option,com_content/task,view/id,57/Itemid,45/ and so on would appear to be begged, borrowed or stolen.

http://www.jenerate.com/templates/JavaBean/images/support.gif - Just say No to clipart.

Your links are basically invisible.

Various other issues, but those will start you off :)

LostInIreland

Thanks for pointing out the grammer mistakes, and all the other area's where we can improve on.

The articles on how a search engine works have been taken from the SEOchat website, and reference to the site has been given at the bottom of each article. So people do not assume that we have written the article.

Various other points that you might have will be appreciated.

What do you mean by stating that my links are basically invisible, is there something i am missing out with regards to SEO?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
LostInIreland said:
What do you mean by stating that my links are basically invisible, is there something i am missing out with regards to SEO?

I think he's referring to the CSS for the links. I already mentioned that I found it very confusing

anthonymcg

LostInIreland said:
Therefore by putting it on the top right of the site, it's less intuitive for them to go there to go back to the home page.
Making things "less intuitive" is the kiss of death when it comes to design. If the logo is hyperlinked then it isn't too bad.

The portfolio pictures for each client need to be linked to their site and the links themselves made more obvious as previously mentioned.

rsynnott

LostInIreland said:
The articles on how a search engine works have been taken from the SEOchat website, and reference to the site has been given at the bottom of each article. So people do not assume that we have written the article.

Do you have permission from the copyright holder?

LostInIreland said:

No, it's a UI issue. The links are very, very difficult to see.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Several months later .....

Has the new design made any impact on your sales? Or woud you say that nothing has changed?

Just curious :D

Status
Not open for further replies.