Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

nice reading material.
There is a saying where I come from:
"When the fox can't reach the grapes, she says - they were bitter anyway."

Gavin

Interesting reading (nice blog design too).

I really can see their frustration but for the most part SEO is more than site accessibility achieved at designer/developer level. Lets not forget the knowledge needed in troubleshooting search engines, which is half the battle.

Although I do get a kick out of seeing an SEO beginner one day who becomes an SEO expert the next day which has become way too common.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Although I do get a kick out of seeing an SEO beginner one day who becomes an SEO expert the next day which has become way too common.

I love the fact one of my sites gets me ranked very high for a certain keyword :D .. (thanks to paul for pointing it out) ... its pretty much got nothing to do with me :D I find it hilarious though :D

Gavin

I wonder what that keyword is, lol.

Do a search for seo expert ireland and look at those results. I see Richard sitting in there but of course not for calling himself an expert, its regarding the dresses.ie post. :)

MickyWall

Job done, he's got the reaction that he was after.
I can certainly see where he's coming from, but should web design encompass all things including site promotion.

What's wrong with promoting, marketing and optimizing websites? Google even has guidelines on how to do it.

I know lots of businesses in the late 90's and early 2000'S that think web design is bull because they got pretty websites for their businesses that ultimately failed to deliver any return.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I know lots of businesses in the late 90's and early 2000'S that think web design is bull because they got pretty websites for their businesses that ultimately failed to deliver any return.

For me personally ... its only in the last 3 - 4 years that its gotten serious .. as in businesses saying my god we need a website ... before it was a bit of a novelty factor. Possibly my location and broadband penetration has affected that heavily.

Now its .. pretty much a must have ...

Everyone asks people to send them a link to their website so they can check them out.

I guess you could in a way compare it to a construction firm.

They build the houses ... how do they make people aware of them ... they get their Marketing people or hire an agency ... to spread the word and to try making their new estate / apartment block the must have place to be. I think its similar for webdesign if you build it ... they might come... but ultimately you've got to put in the effort

Gavin

What's wrong with promoting, marketing and optimizing websites?

Absolutely nothing. As I pointed out to Forbairt in a PM its essential to promote a website for every keyword of its niche.

No point in having a pretty website if nobody can find it. Fair enough if a web designer/developer knows how to promote websites but something tells me they aren't going to get bogged down trying to analysis all the keywords a site needs to rank for.

I can also see the point they are making but lets face its due to bad design/development SEO people are needed to fill in some of the gaps. My guess is that an SEO consultants time could be better spent rather than having to fix bad coding and whatever else.

Their own industry is also faced with a lot of BS too, designers charging markups for templates etc. Probably a reason why I admire the work of some of the designers/developers (including ken & Eoghan)around here....they seem to know what they are actually doing rather than bluffing their way through the industry.

TheMenace

"I don't want your clients' products and services shoved down my throat when I run an organic Google search. I want relevant content. Why are you ruining my search engine experience?"

I suppose that's the other side of the coin. Not everyone who has something relevant to say can afford to be ranked well on Google.

Gavin

You did read the comments did you?

Quickly scanned them. I was more amused by the photo which triggered my comment on his design....aye I know, my bad.

Now that you mention it though I do agree after taking a 2nd look.

MickyWall

Agree with the last 2 posts. I gave up reading all the comments, not because the content wasn't interesting but because I lost track of who was saying what.

gav240z

You know a thread title like that will get interest

Well its kinda like the spam you open just because it has your name as the subject line. As soon as I saw the thread I had to check it out.

I was talking to Dave from Red Fly Marketing about this. SEO is sold like snake oil in many forms. So many firms say they can do it and so many people approach it like weight loss.

"oh I can loose how many kg's in how many days?". So many don't realise what it takes to do really well in search engine's and at the end of the day it can be summarised as the following:

- Great Website Content
- Best Practice Web Design and Development

Sure you can participate and waste you time in thousands of linking scheme's. You can spam your pages with keywords and you can even try to trick search engines using sneaky redirects, but at the end of a day a website is only valuble is its useful to your end user.

Enter web analytics our saviour! :)

Ok so maybe I'm drifting off topic hehe.

glengara

Nice "social media" title, but it should have been written a couple of years ago before most of the design sector jumped on the SEO "bandwagon".

Designers are to SEO what MSN is to search:)

Status
Not open for further replies.