Sitepoint - The web design business kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjt

Hi,
I'm just wondering if anybody has got this? I'm thinking of buying it and it would be great to get some opinions of people who have read it.

Thanks

Linky

figment

I have it. I found the documents handy from a rough guideline point of view but it was very americanised so i found i had to rewrite most of them to be suitable for a european clientbase.
I didnt get the value out of it.

kjt

Yea I've been reading through that Rollo, they seem like pretty good documents. Thanks figment, it is a bit pricey if it's not going to really help you out.

EdenWeb

Yeah I have it too. To be honest, I never got to read it all. Was there something in particular that you were interested in that the Kit has?

kjt

No nothing particular, it just seems like a good source of information for somebody like myself trying to start out in the web design business.

Redfly

I have it also and while the documents are not the best (Which I wouldn't use anyway... get a solicitor) the content is great.

I have read over it twice and it has helped me more than I can put into words. It is VERY practical and addresses many issues a web design company comes across and many you never think you come across.

I have generated a LOT of new business as a direct result of some of the case studies and information in it.

It is NOT technical. It deals mainly with day to day operations, sales pitch, charging by perceived value (best part) and lots more on how to make more money from maintenance contracts and not just a once off project fee. I'm not usually one to promote products but this is one that has my seal of approval.

kjt

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and bout it on Wednesday. Just a tip to anybody thinking of buying it, Download the sample documents and they will then send you a link to them. About 3/4days later then send you a reminder with 10/20 dollars off, I think it was about 10days and I got an email offering it to me for €130. :) I saved €60. I'm looking forward to reading it.

enzo

It's pricey, is it really worth it???

I checked this out when I did my first commercial project. In the end I just created the documents I needed myself (contracts/invoices etc)(maybe that was why I got ripped off :confused:)

kjt

I don't know yet, just recieved it this morning and should get around to reading it in the comming weeks :)

davidbehan

Here's a good example of what you'll learn from the kit if you haven't read it already:

Step-By-Step Guide to a Signed Contract [Find Clients]

I took a good few things from the book. The documents are quite good (for starting out) but you will need to amend them to suit your business and the Irish marketplace. I fear one day that a potential client will receive 3/4 quotes from a few web design companies with "similar" looking proposals. :D

I know my proposals and contracts where initially based on these but that was a few years back and they both have gone through a number of revisions since the first one (including a solicitor for the contract). I must compare them to the originals for the craic.

Rgds,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.