Size of PM inbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3tFl0w

Would you get 100 PM's? and want to keep them?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Currently it's set to 100, is this a little on the small size ?

I'm definitely seeing a different limit to that :D

I've 150+ in my inbox ... I guess its not really that big an issue to up it though if its wanted .. Michele ? ( Can't really see an extra mb or two of space being an issue)

nevf

How many would you want?
1 BILLION DOLLARS - mwahahahahaha.

or else a quota of 500pms would do the job as well. I also think it would be a good idea to prevent users with <10 posts from having a large quota.

I have less than 10 pms in my box however, so such little difference a make would change for me.

Forbairt

personally I use email to store messages ... I do however have a few hundred on boards over the last few years so maybe its just a case that I'm not making the most out of it that I could be.

As such 2 or 3 hundred would probably be good. (500 being a high enough safe number)

If there are spammers ... well we'll see and wipe them of the face of the forum

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I can increase the PM storage amount for the regulars

Leave it with me

/me wanders off to tweak settings

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Ok
I've increased the storage capacity for all regulars

I'm also considering removing the PM options for new users

Forbairt

Ok
I've increased the storage capacity for all regulars

I'm also considering removing the PM options for new users

every month or two I get spam pm's ... nothing major though ... so I wouldn't get too restrictive until it becomes a problem.

That said as a moderator maybe they automatically don't target moderators so I receive less ?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to rejig the permissions so that those of you who are regulars on here get some extra perks, while those who only drop by once or twice are encouraged to be more active

Forbairt

sounds like a pretty good way to attrack some interest :)

Though for me the PM thing would never really have been a big issue.

These days .. something like 20 - 30 posts and you allow sigs

1 post a week / 2 weeks required for a sig ...

Maybe something like personal cool links as well (saw it on another forum you're allowed nominate 2 "coolsites" though its not a major thing

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Just to recap

Signatures - new users don't get them. Post more and don't be a spammer and you will

PM quota - regulars have had their PM quota increased by several hundred %

PM quota for new users - currently under review

At present we're not restricting new users from posting links. I think it might not be a bad idea to restrict it to users with a post count greater than X (value of X to be 10 or 15)
Thoughts?

Forbairt

At present we're not restricting new users from posting links. I think it might not be a bad idea to restrict it to users with a post count greater than X (value of X to be 10 or 15)
Thoughts?

At the moment you tend to get a lot of 1 post wonders .... hi review my website its xxx ...

I don't really like it ... I'm all for giving advice and my opinion (even when its not wanted) ... but I don't like people getting link love juice from the site when they haven't really contributed anything ...

Even something like 5 posts would encourage people to post.

At worst as I said on another thread they can post the link (it won't be hyperlinked for want of a better word) and the following reviewer can repost the link if the want.

Again though ... thats personal opinions so I'm unsure if it'll work for the general population.

I'm all for giving my opinions but I'll no doubt get pissed off at some stage when I realise I'm pretty much replying to spam / link love posts

Forbairt

left my opinion on it ... though being on more and more boards in an admin capacity these days I'm finding it pisses me off even more and more .. and even if its only a minute or 2 to ban / remove links ... its an extra minute or two gone from the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.