Why is my signature gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Noticed this morning that my sig is gone and I can't access it from my control panel !!?? I don't think I broke any rules or offended anyone, I just had one simple link to my site. :confused:

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I changed the signature permissions some time ago, so that only active members with more than X posts can use signatures.

This is to avoid issues with members spamming their signatures on one or two posts

Tom

Ah ok, I see some users with less posts than me including their links at the bottom of their post and I thought they were sigs.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Adulu - I think it's set to 40 at the moment

Most spammers get bored after about 10 or 20 posts :)

Cormac

Michele, is there any plugin which can simply nofollow a new user's sig links until they hit the magical forty posts mark? Doesn't conditional signatures do this?

I understand your reasons for implementing this control but I feel it's too strict. Not everyone who signs up has the intention of spamming or abusing sig links. There are a few users on here who seem to be quitely annoyed at not being able to share their website links with fellow members.

One of the first things I do when I sign up to a new forum is to setup my signature. New users here are straight away being alienated from fellow members. A nofollow of sig links until they hit a certain amount of posts would be a positive measure IMO.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Conditional signatures is pretty good, but I was setting the signature permissions via the usergroups.

I've loosened it up a bit for the moment.... We'll see how things go
Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.