Status
Not open for further replies.

Rtwo

Hey, Just looking for some opinions on this.

I was convinced that server location, as well as the domain extension, played a big part in SEO rankings. I tried testing this by moving a .ie domain website to a German host. I'm beginning to see location related keywords show up higher on Google.com than Google.ie but I'm only measuring this using the Chrome SEO Tool.

Are you guys convinced that where your website is hosted in a major factor in Search Engine positions?

Thanks..

link8r

There have been lots of opinions published on all kinds of sites, from respected to new-to-the-game. And thats just it - it's someone's opinion - based on reading someone elses or by seeing a site "move up" when they did something and somehow attributing the last action they took to be the cause. It's really hard to attribute just one action/cause to a raise in visibility.

I don't believe that server location is critical to SEO. Google are a globalised company. They have off-shore facilities. I think that having to host in the country you're targeting has its roots in a sort of protectionism approach to service provision - almost European in its idea (look at the policies adopted by Ireland, France and Italy with regard to sale of the .IE, .FR and .IT for example).

We have sites hosted in Ireland that target the UK and EU and US and sites hosted in the UK and US that target Ireland and we've never had a problem.

Before anyone rushes out with the page load "trump" card - from Google's perspective - a lot of sites running in China, India, former Soviet countries, and Africa - these are SLOW sites. These are bedroom-run servers with dial-up connections - most sites running in Ireland, even if badly written, aren't going to fall foul of this new initiative by Google.

Also, Googlebot doesn't run from every country, therefore measuring the latency from Germany to the US doesn't indicate Germany - to - Ireland performance issues.

@OP many factors - such as your choice of domain name, languages used, inbound link GL's, words used and other signals affect where you end up placed, including CTR (always ignored yet a key foundation stone of "what makes Google different" when it first launched).

If you see higher ranking in Google.com - are you really at Google.com or an Irish version of Google.com? Add &gl=us to see US type results (again close but not exactly how they might be seen from Texas or NY for example). The only way to get to Google.com in Ireland is to go to Google.com/ncr.

hoep that helps!

tomed

Hi Rtwo

Firstly, the fact that you were using a .ie domain name means that the change of location shouldn't really affect your sites performance at all. If you were using a .com and you wanted to be geo-targeted in Ireland well then your hosting location makes a difference, but so does geo-locating with Google Webmaster tools.

On your point about the SERPs on Google.com improving - this could be due to many things. You're sure it's not personalised results?

achieve

In my opinion server location does not have a significant input in relation to a site's performance from a SEO perspective. Most of my client's sites are on a dedicated server I run, which is based in UK, but I also have clients with sites hosted in Ireland and US. I can't say that it makes any difference SEO wise.

brabazon

Hi Rtwo

Firstly, the fact that you were using a .ie domain name means that the change of location shouldn't really affect your sites performance at all. If you were using a .com and you wanted to be geo-targeted in Ireland well then your hosting location makes a difference, but so does geo-locating with Google Webmaster tools.

On your point about the SERPs on Google.com improving - this could be due to many things. You're sure it's not personalised results?
Absolutely true, domain name like .ie or .com does not makes any difference but website hosting makes a huge difference as I have a personal experience for my website, earlier it was hosted on godaddy US sever but when I changed the location to myhost Ireland server there is a huge improvement in ranking and there is more improvement in keywords that are Geo-specific like "memorial cards Dublin" so website hosting has a big impact on ranking.

Satanta

..domain name like .ie or .com does not makes any difference...
Not true. The ccTLD is one of a number of factors that at least some of the SE's use as part of their rankings. They also do look at IP address (so hosting does matter), but they have other signals/factors (from geotargeting via WMT to where the majority of your backlinks are coming from) that all have an incremental effect.

...so website hosting has a big impact on ranking.
Be careful with your logic there. If I wear a blue jacket and it rains, saying "wearing a blue jacket has a big impact on if it rains" is a huge leap of faith. Yes, hosting has an impact, but it's one of many factors considered. One site improving in rankings isn't a fair indication of just how important a factor it is or isn't. Show the same result over 1000 sites and it's fair, with 1... it's a leap of faith.

For a more official view, Google have commented on this one more than once. Here's one clip of Matt admitting it's a factor for google.

Status
Not open for further replies.