Which browsers are designers supporting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SusanGallagher

Hello,

After the news of youtube phasing out support for IE6 soon, and others like Digg following suit I'm wondering which browsers designers are saying their new sites will support.

Whats the full list of browsers you are designing for now?

Thanks
Susan

Pixelcraft

I'll support IE6, but not to the level of pixel perfection. As long as your site is usable and functional in browsers as old as IE6 there shouldn't be a problem.

php.allstar

It's one of my pet peeves...

On my personal projects I'm withdrawing all support for ie6. When a user visits with ie6 I'm going to popup a nice jQuery dialog window explaining why and how to upgrade to ie7 or 8, I'd get them to move to firefox if I could!

Maybe I'm being stubborn, but I always design/develop for firefox, then fix for all the others!

When I complete projects for the day job, I have to factor in IE6 support as many we have around 20%-25% of our users on many of our sites on IE6.

We put it down to older computers (win 2000) and it staff in corporations unwilling to allow other browsers on their company workstations!

Here's two amusing sites to help you make your mind up

Bring Down IE 6: a campaign by .net magazine
SaveIE6: Help us save the best browser around

LOL

ph3n0m

agree with php.allstar.

Depending on the customers/target users - I usually find, especially in the US, the % of ie6 users is still strong enough that it would be foolish to ignore them.

However I always ask are they prepared to support IE6, as I make it quite clear that depending on what they are looking for, it will add additional time/effort/cost to support IE6 - especially if they are looking to develop a robust "2.0" web application.

That said, if IE6 is required, there has to be some leeway, as there are things, especially in javascript, that IE6 simply cannot handle, so it would have to degrade in a nice way (and unfortunately a popup saying get a better browser, isnt an option :) )

php.allstar

(and unfortunately a popup saying get a better browser, isnt an option :) )

I am so frustrated over IE6 that I am prepared to lose some users from my personal sites over it. Thats why I'm putting the foot down and forcing the popup on my personal sites. Enough is enough.

ie6 is such a headache, I've had my fill of it, good riddance!

ph3n0m

if I could ignore IE6 I would, but the customers I work for (mostly american based), do realise that atleast 20% of their active users are still using IE6 and those figures, they cant ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.