Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoran

I don't know what other peoples opinions are, but personally if I'm viewing a Govt./Corporate/Association website I want the feeling that there is a strong, competent entity behind it.

For instance, look at ibm.com or python.org (Open-Source) - These are sites that I regard as having a very good "We seriously mean business" atmosphere, especially Python.

However, when I look at the Garda/DOD sites it seriously under-represents the respective organisations IMHO.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It's the same with a business.

I've actually had clients tell us that they bought from companies due to their website design giving a more professional feel

daviddoran

It's strange, even though I work "in the business" and even though I know the website isn't really a reflection on the business I always fall into the trap of taking the company at website-face-value.

I think the Garda website counts as Patriotic Pro-Bono work, does it? :)

Gavin

if I'm viewing a Govt./Corporate/Association website I want the feeling that there is a strong, competent entity behind it.

I'm the same on that and like Dave Doran I fall into the trap of taking a site for its face value.

You'll probably laugh at this one but look at the site for the White House. Good Design and very easy to use and better yet holds position 5 for sitemap on Google in both .com & .ie. Now thats the way a Gov site should be. Its a shame about their international policies though. :rolleyes:

daviddoran

You'll probably laugh at this one but look at the site for the White House. Good Design and very easy to use and better yet holds position 5 for sitemap on Google in both .com & .ie. Now thats the way a Gov site should be. Its a shame about their international policies though. :rolleyes:

I'd tend to agree Gavin, it appears quite "regal" and well presented.

niall

Went for going for the .com version first. I remember when that was a lot saucier :) And the fact that it's blocked in archive.org probably means that my memory isn't failing me.

daviddoran

I'm going to guess that both of you are using Firefox and (I have just tested) that it tries www.domain.com if domain.com is unavailable, hence why it works in Firefox.

Gavin

Ok I spoke too soon. Just tested in IE and it has failed.

A bit nuts for an official registar not having the redirect set up. :rolleyes:

kenguest

Yes. I can't help think the tag line for their website should be "but the site's not" - think I'll check out the dominoes pizza website instead ;-)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. I can't help think the tag line for their website should be "but the site's not" - think I'll check out the dominoes pizza website instead ;-)

Dominos' works in FF, but their online ordering system is woeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.